A R C H I M O N D E
Battle for Mount Hyjal

Strategy Guide Links
Bosskillers: http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/bbgu ... MIu5EPjqcg
WoWWiki: http://www.wowwiki.com/Archimonde_%28tactics%29
WoWHead: http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=17968

Video Links
"How To: Azgalor" (YouTube: "Slaplen")
"How To: Azgalor" (YouTube: "Tanknspank86")

Summary
Doomfire
About every 30 seconds, Archimonde will call down a huge trail of fire, with a life of it's own. Each section of the trail of fire lasts about 27 seconds before it disappears. It 2-3 yards wide, and spawns in one spot and then gets longer and longer as its "head" moves around. Each piece of the fire deals damage for a period of 27 seconds, though the fire animation lasts for 45 seconds, so parts of the fire will remain visible, whilst being harmless, a few seconds before they despawn.

Archimonde often has two Doomfires active at once. They sometimes follow a player, then suddenly run in a completely random direction, then follow a player again. Thus, the best thing you can do is watch out and run if it goes for you.

If you step in the fire, you take 2400 damage every second, and you get a non-dispellable DoT debuff also called "Doomfire" that lasts 2250 fire damage to you every 3 seconds, decreasing by 150 each tick until zero, for a total of 20400 damage over 45 seconds. This debuff can be removed with immunities like Cloak of Shadows, Iceblock and Divine Shield.

Soul Charge
Whenever a person dies (pet deaths don't trigger it), his "soul" (which looks like the Banshee's Banshee Wail spell) flies to Archimonde. When it reaches Archimonde, he gains a Shadow Orb, which looks like the effect of the priest racial ability Shadowguard, only in different colours. Once he gains a Soul Charge, he will usually use it on the raid after about 5-10 seconds (though it is not fixed, and could be instant or after a long pause), so healers have this time to top off the raid in anticipation of the Soul Charge's effect.

There are 3 different charges depending on which class died. They are as follows :

Purple(Red) Soul Charge (Priest, Paladin, Warlock)
Deals 4500 fire damage to everyone in a 200 yard radius, as well as silencing them for 4 seconds.

Orange(Yellow) Soul Charge (Warrior, Rogue, Mage)
Increases all damage taken by everyone in the raid by 50% and deals 4500 physical damage (decreased by armour) to everyone in a 200 yard radius.

Green Soul Charge (Druid, Shaman, Hunter)
Deals 4500 nature damage over 8 seconds (1125 every 2 seconds), in addition to draining 2250 mana from everyone in a 200 yard radius.

There is no limit to the number of Soul Charges Archimonde can have, so it is very easy for one death to trigger a Soul Charge which kills a few more players, resulting in a cascade of deaths and Soul Charges, and so a wipe.

Grip of the Legion
Used randomly, and very often (if not constantly), it places a curse on a random target, dealing 2500 shadow damage every 3 seconds for 5 minutes (250,000 total). He won't cast this on somebody who has just been Air Bursted Has a range of 60 yards. Must be decursed as fast as possible.

Air Burst
Inflicts 1500 nature damage to everyone in 13 yards around the targeted player (including the player themselves), tossing them high up and back into the air (over 100 yards away from Archimonde), after which they will simply fall down. Will not be used on the player at the top of Archimonde's aggro list.

In order not to die from this ability, you need to use the Tears of the Goddess, which you can get from Tyrande Whisperwind at the entrance to the night elf camp, by talking to her. The Tears of the Goddess is an item in your inventory that when used (by clicking on it), slows your fall (like Slow Fall or Levitate) for 2 seconds, after which you resume your normal fall speed. It has a 10 second cooldown. In order not to die from the fall damage, you must use it when you're almost at the ground. If you lag, use it even earlier; it's better to use it early and take 2000-3000 falling damage than not be able to use it at all and die.

Air Burst has a 6 second cooldown, meaning it CAN be used every 6 seconds, but it can also be used after 20 seconds or even a minute. Thus it's pretty random. It can only be cast on a person in 60 yards of Archimonde so it cannot be cast twice on the same group of Air Burst-ed player while they are in the air or running back, since the Air Burst throws them back far more than 60 yards. An Air-Burst tank does not lose aggro, but your tank should not be hit by Air Burst if everyone positions correctly.

Fear
Cast regularly at 40 second intervals. Fears everybody in a 200 yard radius for about 6-8 seconds. Will of the Forsaken, PvP Trinkets, Divine Shield, Ice Block, Cloak of Shadows (while it's cast), Fear Ward, Tremor Totem, all can be used to avoid this ability. It has a 1.5 second cast so the main tank must be fast to switch to Berserker Stance and use Berserker Rage to counter the fear before it's cast.

There is a VERY HIGH chance your MT will die in the time you are feared, so you must pick pairs of about 2 healers a time who will trinket/ability out of the Fear and heal the main tank.

Also, if you are running towards the Doomfire while feared, you MUST get out of the Fear or the Doomfire has a very high chance of killing you while feared, or simply giving the raid healers too many targets to heal.

Positioning
    - Never turn Archimonde towards the raid.

- Stay spread out.

- Make sure to have decursers in range of everyone to remove Grip of the Legion as soon as possible.

- Make sure to have healers in range of everyone.
Archimonde is pulled simply by having your MT walk towards him. A hunter should Misdirect a few shots to the MT as soon as Archimonde has engaged.

Class Comments
    Tank:
    "Stance dance" to get out of the fear or prevent it affecting you at all. People tend to be trigger-happy at this encounter so don't lose aggro. If you get in the Doomfire try to move out of it as fast as you can since the damage is quite considerable and can often kill you off during a fear or an unlucky Air Burst. When Archimonde reaches 10%, Execute him.

Melee DPS:
    Stand behind Archimonde and, whatever you do, don't die, or over-aggro (which will be an instant death). If you see the Doomfire going close to the main tank, run back until the fire disappears or your position around Archimonde's feet is clear. When you see the Air Burst coming, move a bit back in order not to risk the main tank being struck by Air Burst. When Archimonde goes to 10%, go nuts. Rogues can use Cloak of Shadows if they somehow get into the Doomfire.

Ranged DPS:
    Stand behind Archimonde and again, whatever happens, don't die. Run away from the Doomfire if you see it closing on you and stay spread out. If you're a mage or a priest, you can Slow Fall/Blink/Levitate to negate falling damage, in addition to using the Tears of the Goddess. Don't over-aggro.

Healers:
    The main tank will be taking quite significant burst damage, so while he'll be parrying/dodging a lot of attacks, keep precasting so that he doesn't die in an unlucky burst. Move out of the Doomfire. Pair up in pairs of 2, and have each pair of healers trinket/talent/racial/ability out of the fear to heal the main tank. If you're Alliance and have Fear Ward, just use it on 2-3 healers and maybe a decurser. If you're a priest you can use Levitate to negate the falling damage from the Air Burst. When Archimonde reaches 10%, go nuts and do DPS on Archimonde; everyone is immune to your healing in this stage.

Decursers:
    Stay spread out evenly around the raid so that everyone is in range at all times, and there's always a few decursers on the ground unaffected by Air Burst. If someone has the Grip of the Legion during a fear, by all means one decurser can trinket/ability out of it and decurse them.

Loot
[item]Helm of the Forgotten Conqueror[/item]
[item]Helm of the Forgotten Protector[/item]
[item]Helm of the Forgotten Vanquisher[/item]
[item]Antonidas's Aegis of Rapt Concentration[/item]
[item]Apostle of Argus[/item]
[item]Bristleblitz Striker[/item]
[item]Cataclysm's Edge[/item]
[item]Leggings of Eternity[/item]
[item]Legguards of Endless Rage[/item]
[item]Mail of Fevered Pursuit[/item]
[item]Midnight Chestguard[/item]
[item]Robes of Rhonin[/item]
[item]Savior's Grasp[/item]
[item]Scepter of Purification[/item]
[item]Tempest of Chaos[/item]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:33 pm  

Incidentally: I noticed today while gearing my Shaman for PVP that the new uber trinket (Medallion of the Alliance) is available on the vendors now (costs 40k honor).

The nice part is this has pushed the previously best PVP trinket (Medallion of the Alliance) from 17k-ish honor all the way down to 8000 honor. If people could get a hold of this trinket versus the run of the mill Insignia of the Alliance it would be a huge deal for the raid as a whole, especially the healers.

The difference is huge, a 2 minute on use cooldown versus a 5 minute on use cooldown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 pm  

Grout wrote:
Incidentally: I noticed today while gearing my Shaman for PVP that the new uber trinket (Medallion of the Alliance) is available on the vendors now (costs 40k honor).

The nice part is this has pushed the previously best PVP trinket (Medallion of the Alliance) from 17k-ish honor all the way down to 8000 honor. If people could get a hold of this trinket versus the run of the mill Insignia of the Alliance it would be a huge deal for the raid as a whole, especially the healers.

The difference is huge, a 2 minute on use cooldown versus a 5 minute on use cooldown.

I think the officers are making it mandatory for everyone to have the 2 min trinket. Does anyone know when the new season starts? I am happy to see the 18k-ish trinket be reduced to 8k honor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:53 pm  

The trinket is already at it's cheaper cost. You can go buy it for 8k right now.

For anyone that doens't have it yet, 8k honor is pretty easy to get, if you do the BG daily every day you'll probably have the honor you need in a week or so.

AV weekend is also this weekend which means you can get the honor extremely fast if you do it then.

There's really no reason not to have it.

Everybody needs this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:56 pm  

Well EVERYONE needs this TRINKET!!!
That said we re still gonna do it. If you dont have at least the Normal one I will be unhappy.. There is no reason you can't get the normal Trinket..

The REason for the Trinket is if you run thru a Fire you will probably die. If you DIE you will PROBABLY wipe the Raid....

I cannot Stress that enough! This fight will Take EVERYONE paying attention. If people die cause they aren't paying attention the repair bill will be HIGH!

GET your TRINKET!

Suhail 80 Resto/enh Shaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:50 pm  

Abdullah wrote:

GET your TRINKET!

So what exactly are you trying to say here..

He hates these cans... STAY AWAY FROM THE CANS!!!!

- Navin R. Johnson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:21 pm  

purification potion?

Whos Got it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:58 am  

I can make that potion..

2 icecap, 2 plaguebloom and a crystal vial...

Jenifer

Ya.. Female dwarf, priest even, in the house.. every guild needs one. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 pm  

Lesson #1 -- This is NOT a DPS fight. This is a SURVIVAL fight!

Do whatever you have to do to live & help others live -- die and you probably wipe the raid. Many guilds learn the fight with only the MT doing ANY dps -- everyone else just works on survival.

Here is a thread about teh Archimond fight with some tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:24 pm  

We need to make some more. I made as much as i had and put it in the guild bank.

Please make some more if you have mats laying around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm  

Ouch on the price of icecap in the AH...slow going farming it, lol.

Jenifer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:45 am  

Site Admin

Here's a hi-res video of our last attempt. It's 55mb, so be warned.

http://www.phxsoftware.com/files/Archimonde_CBR.wmv

Yes, it's a cat ... being fed through a meatgrinder by a deranged, hockey mask-wearing pig. Draw your own conclusions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:44 am  

Thanks Jarr. One thing that stands out is that we have several people running behind the tank. That's a huge no-no. Everyone needs to be in the 180 behind the boss, from what I've read. If you get feared towards the front, trink/bubble/cloak/pot whatever to get out of the fear. Otherwise, you'll drag those Doomfires through Jarr and melee, as happened quite a bit in that video.

This fight is all about survival and personal accountability. Stay alive, even if it means you never get a single point of DPS on the boss, and we most likely win. No one can pull anyone else through this one - each person has to stay alive on their own and maintain situational awareness.

Some tips from EJ on the fight:

- We put a druid 40 yard behind the raid. His main job is to decurse the 2 ou 3 people who get grip + air burst. This combo WILL happen and it killed us many times. The druid can at least ns heal + decurse to avoid this.
- Everyone equip the pvp trinket. It will help you, period. Be it to dps more, to avoid a doomfire, to place the heal which will save your mt, it's the best trinket you can use.
- HS / Pot life or shadow on everyone. Everybody in your raid should be able to heal himself of 5k dmg or so.
- We just require everyone to bring 5 Purification Potions as a "DKP entrance fee" for Archimonde.

----
We use 3 points and sometimes have a few wipes but he usually dies in less than 3-5 tries. 3 ranged groups, usually with a shaman in each, positioned north, southeast, and southwest. A melee group with a fear ward rotation on the shaman. Then a tank group where we throw in all warriors (usually 2 prot warriors and a dps warrior) and 2 holy paladins. The warriors can stance-dance all fears and the paladins are left to be flexible and stay healing the MT as much as possible. They have a dispel rotation worked out with fears like this:
Fear 1 - A trinkets and dispels B
Fear 2 - B trinkets and dispels A
Fear 3 - A bubbles and dispels B
Fear 4 - B bubbles and dispels A

Kept the Fear calls up on vent where possible, and I think most importantly, we all 'got' the fact that DPS is secondary, and being on your toes, avoiding DF's was primary.

Force the groups to act as units, 5 man teams, when you run from DF, you ALL run, and ALL run in the same direction, having 4 payers run one way and your decurser get cut-off by a DF is bad news.

Last edited by greykat on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am  

Kinda interesting to see things when you can play it over and over... Check out the flames through the middle! Wowee!

Jenifer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:05 am  

Jarr, thanks for that video! It confirms what I thought -- our #1 problem is dealng with Doomfires (duh!).

When you watch the video, note the first doomfire apepars behind Archimond & to Jarr's left. Notice that it goes fairly straight away from Archimonde & doesnt wind all over the place. Why is that?

I was targeted by the first doomfire and I ran straight away from Archimonde until it stopped chasing me [how did I know it was targeting me? I didn't until I saw that it was following me -- I ran when I saw that I was close to its spawn point]. Apparently, doomfires will switch targets to pursue other persons nearby, if someone is nearby. I am pretty sure that if you run straight away from Archimonde, and no one is near you, it will follow you until it runs out (that is what happened to me). If everyone that is close to the doomfire runs straight away from Archimonde, then you greatly increase your chances of getting a fairly straight line away, and not those crappy curves and weird patterns (like the last few doomfires). FYI -- the airburst and grip have a range (I believe its 60 yards). If you are running a doomfire way away from the raid, you are unlikely to get hit with these.

Doomfires curving all over the place = guaranteed wipe. Doomfires going in fairly straight line away from Archimonde = chance at T6 head, and bragging rights for finishing MH.