Fully Rested Forums

It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:10 am

Post subject: Shadow Priest Info
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:36 am  

'all may already go there, but a great Shadow Priest resource is Shadowpriest.com. There is a LOT of great information in the Forums. Also, you might check out the forums at Elitist Jerks.

Reading up on SP mechanics has convinced me that we all need to work to get out spell hit rating up to 76 (the hit cap for level 73 mobs if you are 5/5 Shadow Focus). After reading about that, I raised my hit rating and it has made a HUGE difference.

If you can, you will want to work on getting the spellstrike set. I don't kknow if any guildies can make [item]Spellstrike Hood[/item] and Nyb can make [item]Spellstrike Pants[/item]. Dpless can make [item]Runic Spellthread[/item] for the pants. If you have both pieces of the Spellstrike set, you have a pretty good chance any time you git to get a +92 spell damage proc for 10 secs.

If you are a tailor, consider shadoweave tailoring, since the Frozen Shadoweave set is awesome. In fact, if you have the Frozen Shadoweave set (3/3) and the Spellstrike set (2/2) the only Tier 4/5 set piece that you will have any use for is the Gloves.

FYI -- here is a thread that explains the hit rating cap and lists the best SP gear for each slot (and the best enchants for each). Check it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:45 pm  

Is Spellstrike better than Battlecast for a Shadow Priest? In my limited experience with them, I didn't see much reliance on crit. Rather DoTs and Mind Flay were staples, and both of those love +dmg. The +hit is very nice on Spellstrike so maybe that is the huckleberry.

[item]Battlecast Hood[/item] vs [item]Spellstrike Hood[/item]
[item]Battlecast Pants[/item] vs [item]Spellstrike Pants[/item]

I haven't looked on Shadowpriest.com yet and likely my answers are there.

He hates these cans... STAY AWAY FROM THE CANS!!!!

- Navin R. Johnson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:34 am  

For PvE Spellstrike id the way to go. The set bonus is great, and the +to hit is very necessary (For Shadow Priests, always stack for to hit until you are at teh cap, which is 76 if properly specced, and then for +damage).

For PvP Battlecast is da bomb -- all that stamina is very necessary in a PvP environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:59 pm  

Shadow Priests must focus upon doing damage, since that is how we accomplish 3 important functions: (1) dps, (2) mana battery for the caseter in our party, and (3) a constant healing stream for the members of our party. Since the amount of mana and healing is based upon a percentage of the damage we do, our focus has to be on dealing damage

However, before you can deal damage, your spells must hit. Hence, the #1 area that we have to work on is spell hit rating. All Shadow Priests must have 5/5 Shadow Focus, since that will reduce the amount of +to hit that we need to maximize our hit rating to 76. Once you hit 76, and additional +hit does nothing. This is one of the reasons that the Spellstrike Set is so helpful -- the 2 pieces give you a +38 (thats 1/2 of what you need right there). If you are revered with teh Aldor, you can get the [item]Auchenai Staff[/item] which is another +19 to hit.

Once you get to 76 on +to hit, then spell damage is the name of the game -- the more damage you do, the more everybody says "How can we get that Shadow Priest in our raid again -- He's awesome!" THe best gem out there for SPs is the [item]Runed Living Ruby[/item] which is +9 spell damage. Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive gem in its class. Do not buy them cut (you'll never see them below 65+g each) -- buy the uncet [item]Living Ruby[/item], since Shamantics (Greykat alt) can cut them for you. If you can't afford them, then get [item]Runed Blood Garnet[/item] which is +7. I don't know who can make these since it is a Scryer rep pattern, but they are always available for a few gold on the AH.

If you are a tailor, start working on your Frozen Shadoweave set. The 3-piece set is BETTER than Tier 5, so you'll be using it for a while. It will take [item]Shadowcloth[/item]x26, [item]Primal Water[/item]x38, and [item]Netherweb Spider Silk[/item]x8. I can help with the Shadowcloth if you want, since I have a cooldown that you can use (I'm a shadowcloth tailor and you should be too). Xan is also an awesome fisher, and has a LOT of Primal Water from fishing (and can get more to help on this project). The Silk is easy to farm -- either check right outside the Allerian Stronghold west gate, or farm the spiders in Black Morass -- it does not take long, especially if you have a friend.

Other items to consider: [item]Bracers of Havok[/item] (mats=[item]Bolt of Imbued Netherweave[/item]x4, [item]Primal Earth[/item]x4, [item]Primal Shadow[/item]x4 -- I have lots of bolts and primal earths, if you need some. I also have the pattern); [item]Cloak of the Black Void[/item] (mats==[item]Bolt of Imbued Netherweave[/item]x6, [item]Primal Mana[/item]x3, [item]Primal Shadow[/item]x3 -- we have someone in the guild that can make this)

Getting these crafted items has increased my Shadow Damage to +856 when I have everything equipped (+22 more when I get Revered with Shatar), even with my typical horrible rolls on loot (notice that I do not have any Karazhan loot on Nikto?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:14 pm  

There is now a dps spreadsheet for shasow priests (like the famous one for rogues). It allows you to enter your gear, talents, buffs, etc. and it calculates your theoretical dps, max time at that rate before OOM, and your threat per second. It is flat out a great tool.

It comes from a user at shadowpriest.com and can be found here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:44 pm  

1 additional note on spell hit cap -- it is 76 if you are 5/5 in Shadow Focus. As you get additional spell hit gear (the 25-mans drop a lot of gear with lots of spellhit) you may be able to drop points in Shadow Focus (at 101 spell hit you can drop a point, for example; if you are Drenai, you can drop a point at 89, I believe).

Until you are hit capped, each point of spell hit = approximately 0.82 dps. For comparison, each point of spell damage = 0.41; each point of spell crit = 0.07. Of course, once you are hit capped, extra spell hit does nothing.

Spell Haste is coming to the fore when 2.4 comes out. Currently, the testers believe that 1 point of spell haste = 1 point of spell damage. This significantly changes teh calculus for the value of certain pieces of gear -- specifically those with haste values. A post on this page of the gear thread has information regarding what is believed to be the post 2.4 values of items in the game right now. Of course, post-2.4 there will be new items to value, but . . .

Klaatu, Barrada, Nikto . . .
I guess I still need a Gort.